Thursday, November 20, 2008

Caron's "Waves of Mu" in Various News Outlets

"...a refreshing work that gives cutting-edge science the sass and spunk it lacks..." - New York Times.com

I'm fresh off the Waves of Mu run in New York City and writing to you from my secret hideout deep in the woods where I'm scheming my next contemporary art move and gearing up for the next gig.   Luckily my place of escape has wireless so I can keep you posted on what happened and what's happening.

WHAT HAPPENED
Yup, we drove Shaggy and the Silver Bullet smack into the middle of the east village and did nine back-to-back shows and managed to escape without a scratch.  whew.  The Performance Space 122 run went super good and what a thrill to finally share my goods with the people who were first in on the project!

Last recent tidbits are that I taught a lecture/demonstration at Bennington College in Vermont following the NYC show - great program that is very attuned to the interdisciplinary approach to art.  I also did an interview with a nice  woman who is devoting a chapter in her upcoming book Minding Spectators and Performers: Enacting Embodied Cognition On-Stage and Off  to the Waves of Mu show. 

More Press:

"Delightful show and an impressive installation.  Amy Caron is a firecracker of a performer..."  - Time Out  NY.com

"This hard-to-describe but incredibly smart work is the perfect balance of learning and entertainment." - Time Out NY.com

"It is funny that people talk about Ann Liv Young challenging the audience/performer contract when she is really just yelling at you. Waves of Mu actually does challenge that contract in interesting ways." - Andy Horwitz, Culturebot

"An artist to watch" - Gay City News

Other NYC highlights:

*Independent Film Channel came to shoot a spot in my installation (I'll keep you posted on when that airs)
*Sold out panel discussion and shows (science IS sexy)
*An agent took me to lunch (everything life changing happens over lunch no?)
*I got the ENTIRE Wednesday night audience to come out dancing with me (Priceless!)

There was so much that happened in New York - too much to pack into one email, but what a time we had.  I promise to one day soon start a real blog so you all can have easy one-stop-shopping for the Amy action, but for now I'll revel in the soon to be forgotten art of the hand-made poorly-formatted email/newsletter.  Ain't it sweet?

My New York City romp didn't stop at PS 122 either.  I had a simultaneous show at The Philoctetes Center in NYC.  Three of my 2D works were part of the group show Body As Image. 

This group exhibition served as a literal and figurative backdrop to Sextet: Six Roundtables on The Biology and Psychology of Sexuality, the Philoctetes Center (New York City) presents the exhibition, The Body as Image.  Eight artists explore diversity�and occasionally perversity�in the terrain of the human physique.

No comments: